We bought Ava in 1983 as ‘a tatty runner’ and she has been a treasured member of our family ever since. It took Brian about a further 2 years to restore her and since then she has won several awards at AMOC Concours d’Elegance. In 2011 we won the Arthur Sutherland Trophy with Ava being judged the best-kept pre-war car of the year.
She was first registered on 1 January 1939 and lived in Scotland for the first 10 years. The car was owned and rallied by the Corlett brothers in the late 1940s and was photographed on the RAC Scottish Rally doing a brake test on ‘Rest and be Thankful’. During the 1950s the car was owned by a Welsh publican who once drove in Ava from Portmadoc to the centre of London in 3 hours! At some stage the car was re-fitted with a DB1 engine.
We have had the most enormous amount of fun in this car, we have taken her on holiday to Wales to trace her former homes, over to France to visit friends in Onzain, driven around the circuit at Le Mans, to Brooklands, over to Ireland for the re-run of the ARDS TT and to over 100 AMOC events, including winning three Curborough sprints. For many years she was our normal transport for Saturday morning shopping trips and in February 1991 – 30 years ago almost to the day – Brian took her through snow and ice on the Monte Carlo Challenge with his friend Charlie Wheeldon as navigator. They not only finished, but came second in their class, were runners-up in the concours at Monte Carlo and got their picture on the front page of the following morning’s local newspaper ‘Nice Matin’. We still have the pictures on the wall.